We began our day with a birthday party for Delia, a 15 year old Guatemalen girl. In the Guatemalan culture when a girl turns 15, the celebration is comparable to a wedding. Delia is an orphan and her elderly aunt who she lives with cannot afford any sort of party. With the help of Impact Ministries, Delia was able to celebrate her quince annos. Each team member bought a present for her and we ate cake and tamales at 8:00 am. As with Guatemalan custom, firecrackers were set off in honour of the birthday girl.
We then headed off to Chicoy and the sink hole. We climbed down a winding, muddy path to the bottom of the sink hole. The sink hole is a very popular site for witch practice and Mayan rituals. While we were down there, we sang, prayed and spoke out scripture. It was amazing to fill such a spiritually dark place with the Holy Spirit.
In the afternoon we did our VBS. We did a story, a skit, songs, crafts and games. The kids unanimously LOVE bubbles! It is pandemonium when we bring them out! The kids had a great time and the team loved just spending time with the kids.
Like the start of our day, we ended our day with a birthday celebration. We enjoyed eating cake and setting off firecrackers in honour of Luke's 17th birthday. The picture above is anoatemalan tradition. Luke chose the size of his piece in a rather unconventional and messy way.
It's hard to believe we have only one day left in Tactic. How do you leave a people who have been so giving, honest and open with us to return to a place where what we have often gets in the way of our relationships. This has been another impacting day.
Sounds like an amazing day! I can't imagine how much you blessed Delia…what a special day for her! Our prayers continue to be with you, enjoy the last few days.
ReplyDeleteTwo birthday parties in one day! How special.. Delia will remember this the rest of her life as well as Luke! We are also continuing to pray for all of you.. the Lord's presence down there must be strong, because we feel it coming through your blog..
ReplyDeleteLisa, I miss you so much I even txted you! (I know.. I know.. you don't have your cell phone with you ha ha) Love you lots! Love, Mom
Sounds and looks like you are all having an amazing experience. Everyday we can see God working through all of you. Krista we are really enjoying your blogs. It has given us a glimpse of all that you are experiencing.
ReplyDeleteBrittany, we are really missing you especially our conversations at the supper table (and your sweet dance moves). We know you will have many exciting things to tell us when you get back. We love you! Dad & Mom
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one sending text messages to an un-manned cell phone. We are sure missing you here, Anna!
ReplyDeleteWe have read and shared your blogs with everyone in our path! It has been so wonderful to hear about the things that God is teaching all of you. Can't wait to see your precious faces on Saturday. Enjoy the time you have left. Mom and Dad
Just reading over this blog brings me to tears. Remembering my own experience i think of the kids, the hug line, playing games with them and just being with them. I re read over my own Guatemala journal and i have tears or joy and sadness as i thought back to the hospital and the babies with no parents. This trip tugs at my heart. It opens my eyes to what i have every day and how i take it for granted.
ReplyDeleteBrenda <3 my lovely
Do the kids still think you can speak Spanish fluently XD there is something about you that they love :)
Lisa - 1D is important but now that i think about it Guatemala and my experience and what you are experiencing now is way more important. The kids when they pray for you, its so mind blowing that their faith is so great. They pray for us! To think we don't pray like them even though we have so much to be thankful for. I hope you have tons of pictures and stories to tell when you get back. And some muscles to from the work project to eh?
I don't think i can come see you when you get home. I will be in saskatoon, i begged to come back but i cant. So the next day i am going to phone you and cry because i missed you
P.S i got a picture of a KEVIN HAHAHAHAHAHA
Brittany Neilson <3
Dear girl is it as you remember?? I miss you cuddle buddy!!! I wish i was there with you experiencing it all over again! Bring back the joy and faith from Guatemala. Treasure this, take picture and share with me, i miss it so much it brings me to tears.
Anna Banna!!! Is it super fantastical? I can just picture you with the kids.....soo cute i hope you experience Guatemala to the fullest. you will never forget this experience.